I’m excited to share these with you today! This is a new favorite in our house. I don’t love to cook so I usually double this recipe, which lasts us a couple weeks. After the muffins cool, I freeze them on a cookie sheet, then store in a ziploc bag. Whenever I am hungry I take one out of the freezer, microwave it for about 20 seconds and Viola! A healthy treat right at my fingertips!
I like this healthy option because it satisfies my carb craving whenever I have one. I have found it to be extremely helpful to have a variety of healthy snack options–ranging from snacks with chocolate, salty, fruity, hot, cold, etc so I can pick and choose depending on my mood and cravings.
**NOTE: If you are easing in to “healthier” recipes, I would encourage you to try this with normal white flour (if that is what you normally use) and I would not substitute 1/2 of the butter with an avocado. I would also use sweetened applesauce if that is all you have on hand. This will allow you to ease into the healthy recipe. I started by using ingredients I had in the kitchen. Over time I eventually started swapping the white flour for whole wheat, and added an avocado. But I only did this when I was ready to make them a little bit healthier. Remember, you don’t have to follow healthy recipes to a T. If you are more likely to eat a healthier muffin because it has chocolate chips in it then by all means tweak the recipe to your liking! The key is to make small changes so it is a healthier alternative than what you are already eating. If you added chocolate to these, for example, they still have much more nutrition than a donut. Baby steps 🙂
Whole Wheat Carrot Applesauce Muffins
(makes 12 oversized muffins)
- 1½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional–the ginger was a little strong for me so I decrease or omit the amount and increased the cinnamon)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter (1 stick), softened (but not melted) OR 1/4 cup butter with 1/2 avocado, mashed
- ½ cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup carrot shreds (I used a cheese grater or you can use pre shredded)
*For first time “healthy” cookers out there–consider using white flour, butter (no avocado) and sweetened applesauce. Then next time, swap one of these with the healthier alternative and ease into it.
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin pan with paper, foil, or silicone liners, and set aside.
2) In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt.
3) In a large bowl fitted with an electric whisk (or beaters), mix the butter, honey, egg and vanilla together on medium speed. Turn the speed down and slowly add in the flour mixture until well combined. The batter will be fairly thick at this point.
4) Using a spatula, carefully fold in the applesauce and carrots. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups. Bake for 22 to 24 minutes or until a toothpick comes and muffins are beginning to turn golden brown on top. (I actually undercook mine a little bit, setting the timer around 18-20 minutes because I like the tops to be a little gooey.) Enjoy!
*I let mine cool, then place on a cookie sheet in the freezer. Once frozen I store in a ziploc bag and microwave each muffin when I need a quick snack. It can be a great breakfast option too!