This week we are talking about exercise! And just as there are foods that fall into the Love-It or Leave-It category, so too are there physical activities that fall into these categories. It is now time to find out what type of physical activity will best fit you and your lifestyle. Of course, our first step is: Know yourself to improve yourself.
So with that, let’s answer the following questions:
- What are your favorite physical activities?
- What are your least favorite physical activities?
- What are your hobbies that involve physical movement? Could you turn it into exercise?
- What is your physical condition? Have you had a physical? Do you have physical limitations?
- What exercise do you enjoy enough that you could do it for life?
- What are some examples of exercise you would like to explore?
- When would be the best time (or times – don’t discount 5 minutes here, and 10 minutes there) for you to exercise?
- Do you prefer a “tight” workout routine, “loose” workout routine, or something in-between?
- Do you prefer a workout that is led by someone else or do you prefer coming up with your own workout?
- Do you prefer to workout alone or with others?
- What time of the day do you prefer to workout?
- Where do you prefer to workout? (i.e. in my home, at the gym, at the beach)
- Who is someone you would like to workout with and can ask?
- What exercises will keep you in the game?
- What people will keep you in the game?
- When throughout the day can you get what we call Power 5’s, 10’s, and 15’s? These are times throughout the day when you can catch 5 minutes of exercise here, 10 minutes there, and 15 somewhere else. It could be taking the steps instead of the elevator, walking as you talk to a colleague, or using your break time/lunch to get a quick dose of physical activity. If you use the resources you have (in this case time and opportunities throughout your day) you may be able to get in a 30 minute workout within your work day just by taking advantage of your Power 5’s, 10’s, and 15’s!
After you have answered the above questions, pick one physical activity or exercise that you either are doing or would like to do and then try it on for size. Give it a fair shake and then evaluate and determine if you want to continue or try something else. If you already know what exercise is the best for you then go with it. Just make sure you find something that will keep you in the game and something that gives you peace.
1: What one activity are you going to try?
2: What is your current level #peace in regards exercise? (Record date and # in your notebook)